Immigrant Outreach & Education Project
In light of the federal administration’s systemic uprooting of immigrants and subsequent policy reversals – including both the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and the Temporary Protection Status (TPS) of many countries – Safe Passages is redoubling our efforts to serve our immigrant families in the form of a new program: the Immigrant Outreach and Education Project (IOEP).In order to support the many families and individuals who are being unjustly targeted, Safe Passages has partnered with a group of advocates and legal agencies across the state to provide outreach, education, and referrals to free or reduced-cost legal services for immigrants. Funding for this effort has been made possible by the California Department of Social Services (CDSS): Immigration Services.
The outreach team — comprised of Jose Alejandre (Student & Family Intervention Specialist), Veronica Vega (Community Development Coordinator), and Alicia Perez (Legislative and Community Development Director) — is available to conduct workshops at local schools and organizations to provide families and students with information about their legal civil rights under the constitution regardless of residency status. Safe Passages can provide information about pathways to citizenship, naturalization, and legal residency (including DACA, TPS, and other visas). Safe Passages is also currently developing a workshop specifically for immigrant youth living in the United States that will be especially beneficial for students.
Outreach may be most effective at parent engagement events that have already been scheduled, including food distributions, PTA meetings, or similar. The outreach team has also made themselves available to provide a workshop or speak with families individually at their homes if they are not comfortable attending a public event.
To schedule a workshop contact Veronica Vega at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To support this endeavor either by volunteering your time, referring an agency, or making a donation, please contact Alicia Perez at email@example.com.
If you need help or would like more information, call the Safe Passages Immigration Services Hotline at (628) 333-9535.
Reputable & Affordable Legal Assistance and Resources for Immigrants
- East Bay Community Law Center
- Centro Legal de la Raza
- ICE Rapid Response & Legal Services
- ICE Respuesta Inmediata y Ayuda Legal
- East Bay Sanctuary Covenant
- International Institute of the Bay Area: Immigration Legal Services
Know Your Rights
- Deportations and Detentions
- Red Cards
- Trust Act
- If ICE Stops You in Public
- Living in the United States: A Guide for Immigrant Youth
Pathways to Permanent Residency & Citizenship
- Understand U Visas and VAWA (Immigration Options for Victims of Crimes)
- Temporary Protected Status: Haiti
- Temporary Protected Status: Honduras and Nicaragua
- Estatus de Protección Temporal para Honduras y Nicaragua
- Temporary Protected Status: El Salvador
- Estatus de Protección Temporal para El Salvador
- DACA Renewal Applications Under New USCIS Guidelines
- Renovación de DACA Bajos las Nuevas Guías del Servicio de Ciudadanía e Inmigración (USCIS en Ingles)
- Citizenship & Naturalization Information